31 Jan 2023
LibreOffice project and community recap: January 2023
Here’s our summary of updates, events and activities in the LibreOffice project in the last four weeks – click the links to learn more…
- We started the year back looking back at the previous one – 2022! Here’s a quick recap of what we did in the LibreOffice community. Well, just a few of the many things 😉 Thanks to everyone who contributed last year! (PeerTube version of this video here.)
Please confirm that you want to play a YouTube video. By accepting, you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
- In January, we had two update releases for LibreOffice: 7.4.4 and 7.4.5. All users are recommended to download the latest version to get the latest fixes and compatibility improvements.
- Meanwhile, our Czech community announced their translation of the Calc Guide 7.4. Fantastic work! 👍
- Some sad news: we heard that Carlos Parra Zaldivar, a long-time collaborator in the community, member of The Document Foundation and advocate for Free Software, passed away on November 20th. Rest in peace, Carlos.
- More docs updates! The Documentation team was happy to announce the availability of the LibreOffice Draw Guide 7.4, an update of the 7.3 guide.
- Then we talked to Afshin Falatooni from the Persian-speaking LibreOffice community, about his work on the blog and in the QA project.
- Later in the month, we at The Document Foundation stated our position on the EU’s proposed Cyber Resilience Act. If the Cyber Resilience Act becomes EU law without clarification, the impact on several European-based open source projects, such as products based on LibreOffice technology, could have devastating (unintended) consequences.
- TDF has many websites and services: this blog, the LibreOffice website, our wiki, the extensions website, Weblate and many more. To improve them and keep them up-to-date, TDF now has a new Web Technology Engineer, Juan José González! We had a chat with him, to learn more…
- Aaaaand finally, the LibreOffice project and community will be at FOSDEM 2023 (Brussels, February 4 and 5). If you’ll be there, come to our booth, grab some stickers, and check out the talks in our devroom!