The Document Foundation (TDF), the charitable entity behind the world’s leading free office suite LibreOffice, seeks a
Marketing & PR Intern
to start work as soon as possible.
The role, which is scheduled for 10 hours a week and an internship time of 3 months, includes amongst other items:
Public Relations Responsibilities
- Assist with building and maintaining media lists for different geographies
- Assist with developing, drafting, writing and distributing press releases and other PR materials such as backgrounders and newsletters
- Assist with media relations, including pitching, researching and scheduling interviews if needed
- Assist with collection of pictures of project members, free software events, hackfests, and conferences
- Assist with building and maintaining relationships with relevant media
- Assist with following-up with members of the media to ensure publication
- Assist with tracking of press coverage, and creating monthly clipping reports
- Assist with proofing written materials for style, grammar, etc.
Social Media Responsibilities
- Assist with drafting and posting tweets and posts on social media
- Assist with writing and editing blog posts and website articles
- Assist with updating a global calendar of events
- Assist with researching industry trends and updating marketing data
- Assist with the development of infographics and other marketing visuals
The role requires the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal and interpersonal
- Good understanding of the free software environment and culture
- Creativity, and ability to work on your own and meet deadlines
- Good research and internet skills, good teamwork
- Fluent in spoken and written English (fluency in other languages is desirable but not mandatory)
- Previous marketing, fundraising or communication experience
- Experience of updating web pages using an open source CMS
- Knowledge of graphic and desktop publishing software
- Knowledge of international environments, willingness to travel
TDF looks for a bright and enthusiastic individual seeking to gain an insight into marketing of open source software through one of the leading international free software foundations. You will provide valuable support to a small and dynamic team and will be comfortable carrying out different tasks – according to your seniority – as part of a team. As a confident communicator, you will be happy to liaise with supporters and individuals, and will use your creativity to help with marketing activities.
The work time during the day is flexible, apart from some fixed times when availability is required (e.g. during meetings, which usually take place between 1400 and 1600 UTC once per week). Applicants are also expected to be available at least two days per week.
TDF welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
As always, TDF will give some preference to individuals who have previously shown a commitment to TDF, including but not limited to members of TDF. Not being a member, or never having contributed before, does not exclude any applicants from consideration.
The internship offered is time-limited, with no immediate plans to a mid- or long-term employment or contractual relationship. Work happens from the applicant’s home office, which can be located anywhere in the world.
TDF is looking forward to receiving your applications, including curriculum vitae, your financial expectations, and the earliest date of your availability, via e-mail to Florian Effenberger at email@example.com no later than June 22nd, 2015. You can encrypt your message via PGP/GnuPG.
If you haven’t received feedback by July 20th, 2015 your application could not be considered.