Marketing plan draft: Discussion about options available, and timetable
Lothar Becker, Chairman of The Document Foundation’s Board of Directors, writes:
thanks for the feedback on the marketing plan draft via different channels so far. We want to let you know and have you take part, as the board is discussing the options now available with that draft.
In the meantime, some more feedback will be integrated in the document already and will be published on next Monday. This is still not the last chance for a change for version 7.0.0, but we will reach that point soon.
The last change for all strings and tags would be possible the latest by Monday, July 20. With some preliminary phase for decision making of the board the public feedback phase on all this will end by the time of the next public board call, i.e. Friday, July 17, 1300 Berlin time.
What are the realistic options so far:
- Variant 1: Implementation of a marketing plan would be postponed to V7.1, as no UI changes can be made in minor releases. This would imply a longer discussion period.
- Variant 2: Implementation of the marketing plan draft with V7.0.0 with flavour tags.
At the moment it looks like, this would be called “Community Edition” (in change to the RC1) and with the introduction of the umbrella brand “Enterprise Edition” with explanations and pointer to ecosystem partner offerings.
The feedback here we still need until the mentioned Friday, July 17, 1300 Berlin time is about all strings and tags (e.g. “Community Edition”), you can give that on the board-discuss mailing list, or on Bugzilla.
- Variant 3: As variant 2 above and further tweak all strings and tags for V7.1, after gaining experience and more feedback with it from V7.0.
We encourage all the community to bring in your opinions further, also on the public board call (Friday, July 17, 1300 Berlin time), and all the other channels. Please be aware, that any sort of decision of the board must be made the latest at the dates stated above.
Thanks so much for your input so far! All the best, and keep healthy!
Chairman of the Board
It is worth considering that the danger or dithering can be worse than acting, is it worth causing such discussions and bickering for an additional 6 months? If the decision is such that the name is changed to ‘Community Edition’ then that would appear to me to be an acceptable compromise.
The strategy of having these two conceptually different versions (Community and Enterprise) is sound in my mind. Or else you could well find yourself in the same position as now for a long time and that does not serve the long term strategy of the DF or the development requirements of the application.
You risk unnecessary delay and not showing leadership. You will never be able to please everyone with the strategy that you choose, but making a decision shows leadership by choosing and sticking with a decision.
I would vote for Variant 2.
I would prefer the name of Community Edition too.
“Community Edition” also for me
Calling something “Community Edition” does not give a positive impression. You might as well call it the “Lesser Edition” or “Crippled Edition”. That is what companies do when they open-source a restricted subset of their commercial product. It is not something a Free Software project should even consider.
Is there a Linux Community Edition? An Apache Community Edition? A PostgreSQL Community Edition? The answer is “No”, because these are not subsets of a commercial product. They are the canonical reference projects that any derivative commercial products would be based on. It is the derivative products that must append some diminutive suffix or permutation of the original name, based on the trademark policies of the source project.
Let LibreOffice stay LibreOffice, and let any commercial derivatives deal with naming issues of their products on their own time.