2012/08/29

The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 3.6.1

Filed under: Announcements — Florian Effenberger @ 10:36

Berlin, August 29, 2012 – The Document Foundation (TDF) announces LibreOffice 3.6.1, a new and improved version of the best free office suite ever. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, solving a number of issues and regressions, plus further improving the stability of the program. LibreOffice 3.6.1 is offered in over 100 languages, covering all the countries of Europe and the Americas, and many countries in Africa and Asia/Pacific where it is often the only available native language suite.

LibreOffice 3.6.1 is announced within a month after the 3.6.0 release, which brings lots of new features and functionality: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/3-6-new-features-and-fixes/

LibreOffice is quickly becoming the de-facto standard for migrations to free office suites, thanks to the growing feature set and the improved interoperability with proprietary software file formats.

News also comes from the Regione Umbria, the first Italian region to recognize and support ODF in 2007, that has just announced a migration project to LibreOffice, which will start in autumn and involve 5,000 desktops in different organizations. The migration project has launched a blog in Italian at http://libreumbria.wordpress.com/

The Câmara Municipal de Vieira do Minho (county of Vieira do Minho) in Portugal has also announced its migration to LibreOffice: http://www.cm-vminho.pt/index.php?oid=9871&op=all

The growing number of adoptions of LibreOffice by private and public enterprises is testament to the improvements brought to the old code by TDF, thanks to over 500 developers and many testers and translators working on exciting new features, stability and quality.

While preparing the next major version, the LibreOffice community continues to work on the current 3.6 series of its software, and has also produced another maintenance release for the previous 3.5 series, to ensure continuity and stability for adopters.

TDF has also just announced a new “HardHacks” project at http://skyfromme.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/announcing-libreoffice-hardhacks/ and will be reporting progress on this on a regular basis.

LibreOffice 3.6.1 is available for immediate download from: http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
Extensions for LibreOffice are available at: http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center

Change logs are available at http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/src/bugfixes-libreoffice-3-6-1-release-3.6.1.1.log (fixes in 3.6.1.1) and http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/src/bugfixes-libreoffice-3-6-1-release-3.6.1.2.log (fixes in 3.6.1.2).

Your donation helps us to deliver a better product: http://donate.libreoffice.org

1. [...] notizia ufficiale la trovi qui Condividilo:FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailStampaLike this:Mi piaceBe the first to like [...]

Pingback by Dal blog “The Document Foundation” « Alfredo Parisi — 2012/08/29 @ 10:45

2. MS Access files imported still not working :(

Comment by wabik — 2012/08/29 @ 11:18

3. Reblogged this on Migrazione dell'Umbria a LibreOffice.

Comment by Sonia Montegiove — 2012/08/29 @ 12:54

4. [...] to e.g. use OpenJDK instead; A full list of annoying bugs is available from the wiki. Read more: The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 3.6.1 Homepage: [...]

Pingback by Libre Office 3.61 final was announced out. — 2012/08/29 @ 13:45

5. [...] 3.6.1 of LibreOffice is now available and fixes more than 90 bugs found in the 3.6 release of the open source productivity suite from [...]

Pingback by LibreOffice 3.6 maintenance update arrives « Pc Corzo Solutions Blog — 2012/08/29 @ 18:03

6. Still bad recognition date.
    Up to ver. 3.5.6 when I wrote “23/8″ or just “23 /” changed to 23.08.2012 – now despite cell format as a date – nothing changes … For me it falls off. Daily I have to write on a sheet about 150 dates. So I am forced to stay with version 3.5.6.
    It’s a shame.

Comment by Rafał — 2012/08/29 @ 20:40

• It’s a great advancement for many of us who had suffered from this so-called “option” so long time, when, regardless of regional setting, anything evel slightly similar to date had been treated as date.
      If you need to enter “23/8″, just set “/” as date delimiter in regional settings.

Comment by Mike Kaganski — 2012/08/30 @ 00:00

• When can I find this option in 3.6.1? How change to ” / “?

Comment by Rafał — 2012/08/30 @ 12:28

• I meant OS-specific settings. But you can simply choose the language of those cells to US English (Cell Format->Numbers->Language; note that I use a localized LO so I just guess correct names) and those cells will accept “/” as date delimiter.
        And as far as I can tell, this will not enable you to use a partial date; maybe someone can advise here if it is possible.

Comment by Mike Kaganski — 2012/08/30 @ 13:11

7. The “Download LibreOffice” banner at your home page, directs would be users to version 3.6.1. The accompanying “Release Notes”, would appear to indicate that version 3.5.6, is the latest stable version – as is indicated by the tick within the green circle.

So, which version is the more stable? Your site has made the issue confusing for potential new users, and will only serve to drive them away from adopting LibreOffice, and send them back to “the arms” of the proprietary moguls. Is this what you wish for ?

Detail, or what you may think is trivial – matters!! For the well being of the project, please clear up the confusion – keep the semantics clear.

Perhaps consider adopting similar clear categories that the Debian project uses, for example; “stable”, “testing”; or; “stable”, “beta”.

Comment by Cecram — 2012/08/30 @ 04:27

8. [...] The Document Foundation today announced the release of LibreOffice 3.6.1, a maintenance release for the recommended version. It is recommended that users upgrade to this latest release as it solves "a number of issues and regressions, plus further improving the stability of the program." An update to the 3.5 series has also been released, according to the announcement. [...]

Pingback by LibreOffice 3.6.1 Available for Download | PHP World — 2012/08/30 @ 04:38

9. My first bug report ever: I was running “3.5.3_Linux_x86″ without any problems whatsoever under the latest Lubuntu Linux. Now, as I usually do with all LO upgrades, I removed all 3.5.3 in synaptic completely and installed “3.6.1_Linux_x86″ from scratch today.

ANNOYING BUG: 3.6.1 works, but from time to time it does not launch at all, and there is a zombie process to be seen using ‘top’. Also, I sometimes see the new green starting box, but still it does not launch. This is completely new for me and I have never experienced anything like that till now. I can reboot in order to get it working – till it again wont launch D:

Hint: I installed 3.6.1 + helpfiles, then afterwards the 3.6.1 DE localisation which I downloaded a little later. Did I possibly pick the wrong file here ?

Thanks anyway for the usually great work :D !!!

Comment by Herman — 2012/08/30 @ 12:15

10. Me again:

Another hint: under “tmp” there is a “Singleoffice IPC Pipe” file that I can delete manually, which then enables me to launch again. Does this help to pinpoint whats going wrong here ?

Comment by Herman — 2012/08/30 @ 12:34

11. [...] Foundation сообщила о выпуске корректирующего релиза LibreOffice 3.6.1, в котором [...]

Pingback by Релиз офисного пакета LibreOffice 3.6.1 | PROUBUNTU — 2012/08/30 @ 14:41

12. [...] Haberin kaynağı ve duyuru için bakınız: blog.documentfoundation.org [...]

Pingback by İtalya’nın Regione Umbria Bölgesi 5.000 Masaüstünde LibreOffice’e Geçiyor « Linux Haber Blog — 2012/08/30 @ 17:30

13. LibreOffice 3.6.1, still has problem and bug when i copy text of web sites in the program, please check.
    Thanks.

Comment by Fox — 2012/08/30 @ 18:30

• Do you invite developers to visit your place? Then you can show them which page makes which problems to you :)

The blog isn’t a proper place for bug reports (especially such poor quality – you made lots of “bugs” while filing your bug report! It won’t work). The official bug tracker should be used for that.

Comment by Mike Kaganski — 2012/08/31 @ 00:12

• Hello!

LibreOffice is great software, I am so sorry for my bad wording. I am not domination in english language and my translator software cause this bad wording. However i am so sorry for this and please, say me which place i can reported bug or problem of LibreOffice?

Thanks.

Comment by Fox — 2012/08/31 @ 23:38

Comment by Mike Kaganski — 2012/09/01 @ 00:35

• Hello!
        Thanks for your help.

Comment by Fox — 2012/09/01 @ 11:56

14. Hi,
    can we get a torrect RSS feed for automatic downloading (win/mac, translation) packages? It is really time consuming searching every time on the web page for using the wanted build and that for different systems. Regards, mabdul

Comment by "Mabdul" — 2012/08/31 @ 12:55

15. Segui los procedimientos en LinuxMint 13 KDE 64 bits desinstalando completamente la versión previa de LibreOffice 3.6.0.2 y luego instalando de ceros la versión 3.6.1 la probé y funciona muy bien, se ven los íconos y al pulsar sobre ellos abren las aplicaciones pero, al reiniciar ya no abre ninguna aplicación… probé a desinstalar y volver a instalar y no cambia nada, aparece la pantalla verde y luego se cierra todo y ya no vuelve a abrir, ni siquiera la pantallita verde… Me tocó regresarme a la anterior versión 3.6.0.2 y allí si funciona todo bien. ¿Que puede ser?

Comment by Ghermain — 2012/08/31 @ 15:13

• We develop the OSCAT Library (oscat.de) and the documentation is a .odm global document with 438 pages, TOC and index list. The child documents have linked-in graphics (gif, jpg) and all things beside the pagination work perfectly. On LO 3.5.4 the pagination has problem on the child documents when a text is followed by a graphic. Then a gap of one or more pages occures without any reason (empty pages..). When switching to page preview and back the pagination the page count was much to high (527 pages). After waiting 5 min (macbook 2 Ghz dual core, 4 GB Ram) and calling the page preview again and again and zooming in and out, scrolling down and up, the page count appears correct. This behaviour is also visible on LO 3.6.1 (english). LO is a great tool, (gratulations to all developers) but if such a documentation can not be done in a easy manner, its worthless. From my experiments its a timing issue and maybe a simple codeline can solve the strange behavior. A status bar text would be good i.e. ” recalculating pagination” or something. Manual update (“tools, “update”, “page formatting” does not calculate correct, it shows 445 pages instead 438, the failure is always a linked-in image which produces emty pages before itself). Access to the documentation can be given with “teamdrive”, a software like dropbox in which the documentation is developed (Teamdrive.com). the linked in documents and images does not work on a copy of the folder. Just create a teamdrive account and send me the name to my mail adress to get access.

Other thing: the scrollbar on the right side can not be moved by mouse cursor on my external monitor (24 inch) when it is on the bottom position. Only if i point the mouse cursor appr. 1 centimeter above the scrollbar, hold mouse and move it up, the scrollbar moves correctly. (OSX 10.7.4 and LO 3.6.1 english)

best regards
      Hermann

Comment by Hermann — 2012/09/01 @ 09:02

16. Great improvements and interesting features, but I would recommend to stick to 3.5.5 version in business environment. From our experience it is the best release of the Libreoffice in terms of stability and presence of critical bugs.

Comment by Andis — 2012/09/02 @ 12:00

17. [...] Document Fundation wydaje LibreOffice 3.6.1 – wersję poprawiającą kilka błędów znalezionych w wydanym niedawno libreOffice [...]

Pingback by Poniedzielnik: wieści ze świata OpenSource. Numer 63 :: Czytelnia Ubuntu — 2012/09/03 @ 17:33

18. Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any points for rookie blog writers? I’d genuinely
    appreciate it.

Comment by house cleaning services los angeles — 2012/09/11 @ 10:53

19. [...] 3.6 series after Slackware 14 would have been released. Well, I am currently compiling packages for LibreOffice 3.6.1 on Slackware 13.37 in an attempt to reach as many people as possible (running Slackware 13.37 as [...]

Pingback by Alien Pastures » KDE Software Compilation 4.9.2 — 2012/10/02 @ 19:14

20. [...] the end of august, LibreOffice 3.6.1 was released, the first stabilization update in the 3.6 series. I have waited a bit with starting on the 3.6 [...]

Pingback by Alien Pastures » LibreOffice 3.6.1 packages (a bit overdue) — 2012/10/03 @ 09:07

21. Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for some time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent job!

Comment by how to use gree screen — 2012/10/03 @ 10:21

22. [...] Document Fundation wydaje LibreOffice 3.6.1 – wersję poprawiającą kilka błędów znalezionych w wydanym niedawno LibreOffice [...]

Pingback by Archiwum Poniedzielnik: wieści ze świata OpenSource. Numer 63 — 2012/10/03 @ 14:59

The Shocking Blue Green Theme. Blog at WordPress.com.